Cellar Conversion Flooding and Damp Problems
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lisap
Labourer
Labourer

Cellar Conversion Flooding and Damp Problems

by lisap » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi, my ex-BF had our cellar converted by his uncle (a builder) a dpc was put in (not tanked) and a concrete floor. Damp proof paint was painted on walls, wooden cladding put on, a sky-light with a few vent bricks. A carpet was laid - JD. Except that it flooded a week later. It is a terrace house 1895 ish. Since then we split up, i left the floor as concrete (no covering). I just use the room as storage / utility now. I have read on this forum that concrete floors should have expansions in them or the walls can move - how will i know if this is in place? Im worried my walls will crack now. The conversion was done 3 yrs ago. With all the bad weather the cellar has just flooded again - clean water. Experts say high water table caused by the river flooding and saturating the ground. The water went on tuesday but the cellar had 4" of standing water for 4 days - the the water just went of its own accord. My house still smells quite badly of damp though. To be honest whenever it rains it has a damp smell to it. How can i tell if i have damp and what the problem is? What can i do to reduce the damp smell? If my cellar floors are ok is there a wet-proof floor paint i can be recommended to? Would painting the wooden cladding with gloss make the problem worse? I would be greatful of any help and advice. I wont be spending lots on the cellar though as it isnt worth it -however need to make sure the house isnt ruined !!

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

free advice

by dcmoore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:28 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:05 pm