Cellar Conversion *gulp*
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dillanm
Labourer
Labourer

Cellar Conversion *gulp*

by Dillanm » Thu May 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Hey guys, I was just popping round to ask for some advice and help

Some background knowledge first would probably help:

The cellar in question is under my house and was an old coal cellar - hence it is full of dirt and coal dust. The floor is not flat and the standing space decreases as you go further towards the back.

I have begun to dig down into the ground in order to start to increase standing height within the cellar but so far all I have managed is to come into contact with a large area of sandstone (or some equally soft rock with an orangey color and porous texture)

My final idea for the cellar is a music area where I can set up my drum kit in order to play it without disturbing the neighbours TOO MUCH.

I was wondering the most effective way to flatten out this area and, after, sound proof it effectively so that there is not too much noise bleed.

*NOTE - the cellar is about 4 metres by 6 metres with a standing height sloping from a little over 6ft to about 5ft*

Money is a limiting factor - however tools and some materials should not be hard to acquire as my father works at a local council.

Thanks in advance

Dillanm
Labourer
Labourer

by Dillanm » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Anyone have any idea?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 am

Hiring a structural engineer would probably be advisable before digging around the foundations of the building. Particularly as the rock in question may be what the building is built on!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm