cellar floor drainage
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
smuglilal
Apprentice
Apprentice

cellar floor drainage

by smuglilal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:07 pm

i have just recently lifted some flags in my cellar to find broken sections of pipe leading water to outside i have been told this is just ground water i am hoping to concrete floor is this true and as long as i dont block it can i concrete have covered with pea shingle at moment as advised

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Ground water will still build up in heavy rain, maybe evening flooding the cellar. I wouldn't advise just covering, best bet would be to renew a section of the pipe.

smuglilal
Apprentice
Apprentice

by smuglilal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm

thanks these pipes are only in sections so when heavy rain occurs cellar water spreads around pea shingle but never came above flags i have replaced sections with a long plastic pipe with holes in as the others were full of mud and clay as advised by a friend (not too sure of his reliability) i dont live in a major flood area and although the water is present it seems to just come and go and never rise am i ok to concrete?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:02 pm

I'd be happier concreting now - once I knew the pipes were in place and in a good state of repair.

Would it not be best replacing the flags as then the pipes would be accessible ? rather than concreting ?
Quite difficult to advise without seeing.

What do you mean by "i have replaced sections with a long plastic pipe with holes in as the others were full of mud and clay" holes in the pipe ?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:26 pm

"i have replaced sections with a long plastic pipe with holes in as the others were full of mud and clay"

Sounds like a French Drain. If I'm right don't concrete straight over it though - you'll just fill the holes up and it won't work! You'll need gravel below, around and on top of it to allow the water to get into it.

Cheers

smuglilal
Apprentice
Apprentice

by smuglilal » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:27 am

thanks for your help pipe is now fully covered with pea shingle and sand on top of that got to go with the concrete though not very good at flag laying thanks once again

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 am