Cement(board) and insulation under bathroom flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

jskitchin
Labourer
Labourer

Cement(board) and insulation under bathroom flooring

by jskitchin » Sat May 24, 2008 3:13 pm

I live in a first floor maisonette (my neighbour's flat is directly below). My neighbour has told me that the previous resident had a flood in the bathroom. Basically the chipboard flooring is ruined. I pulled a rotten bit of chipboard up under the bath and noticed that underneath there is cement over 20mm thick. In places this cement also breaks up and underneath it is insulation. Underneath the insulation is more flooring (also chipboard I think). Fingers crossed I think the bottom flooring is ok. Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the rotten flooring? I was planning to take the old chipboard up and replace with 18mm plywood. However now that I am aware of the partly damaged cement and insulation I am not sure what to do. Maybe I should remove this also. Is this cement and insulation standard practice? The property was built around 1983.
Furthermore is anyone aware if there is any possibility of asbestos being found in these materials?

It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:47 am