Central heating advice
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
HarryC
Labourer
Labourer

Central heating advice

by HarryC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:32 am

Hi I am looking for some advice, I have a central heating system which was installed about thirty years ago, the system is powered by a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, although the central heating is still working perfectly, would it be cost effective to change my boiler to a condensing one, if so, is it advisable to renew the pipes and radiators at the same time. My running cost over the winter is about £15 per week for gas.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 pm

It's entirely up to you really - if your boiler is running ok - with no breakdowns then you could leave it alone. Until it breaks down then upgrade. I work on Baxi Bermuda's quite abit and don't have many problems with them. If they're serviced regularly then they will keep on running.

You would probably save money changing to a condensing Combi boiler, as you only heat the water that you need - at the minute you will heat alot of water either in the tank or cylinder. Plus if you normally use an electric shower, your heating all this water just for washing and washing dishes.

You may also save abit as a new appliance wouldn't have a permanent pilot - the savings wouldn't be huge though.

I work in some houses that have had the old back boilers for many years, with not many problems. Then they get a new boiler and it breaks down every year or so. Just the luck of the draw really.

Hope this helps

HarryC
Labourer
Labourer

by HarryC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]It's entirely up to you really - if your boiler is running ok - with no breakdowns then you could leave it alone. Until it breaks down then upgrade. I work on Baxi Bermuda's quite abit and don't have many problems with them. If they're serviced regularly then they will keep on running.

You would probably save money changing to a condensing Combi boiler, as you only heat the water that you need - at the minute you will heat alot of water either in the tank or cylinder. Plus if you normally use an electric shower, your heating all this water just for washing and washing dishes.

You may also save abit as a new appliance wouldn't have a permanent pilot - the savings wouldn't be huge though.

I work in some houses that have had the old back boilers for many years, with not many problems. Then they get a new boiler and it breaks down every year or so. Just the luck of the draw really.

Hope this helps[/quote]thanks for advice, think I will just leave well alone for the moment, sorry I took so long to answer have been on hols[/quote]

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1