Central Heating Installation Advise.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
manaboutthehouse
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Installation Advise.

by manaboutthehouse » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi fellow advisers,

I'm about to embark on installing Central Heating into my newly bought Victorian house and have some questions.

1. The house does already have a hot water boiler, can this be used for central heating or do I need to replace with a combination boiler. ?

2. Would you think I need to install cast iron radiators from this Victorian period, any pro's cons, like not as efficient, costly, wont make difference to house price ?

3. Is the pipe work to radiators best kept under floor boards or can they run along room skirting boards in the room until the corridor ? Be nice to get heat but does the look not work ?

4. The current boiler is on the second floor, if we want heating to the attic rooms would we need to put the boiler on the attic floor so we don't need a pump, i was under the impression you don’t need a pump if all the devices you feed are below the boiler ?

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:55 pm

I am just a bit concerned that you are about to embark on a major project here with limited experience, and if you are not careful, you could end up spending a lot of money on a system that doesn't work, and could be dangerous.

Whether the the existing boiler can be utilised depends entirely on what type it is, and you have not said.

Radiator style is entirely down to your choice. Period fittings can look out of place in a modernised house - even if it is a Victorian one.

Pipework absolutely must be hidden. It looks cheap and tacky if left exposed.

I am at a loss to understand why you think radiators should be below the boiler in gravity fed systems. Hot water rises! Tanks and radiators must be above the boiler. Anyway, that is all irrelevant as you will certainly need a pump. Gravity fed heating never worked satisfactorily, and the design was abandoned decades ago.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Have read your post I would advise you to consult a local heating engineering company to attend your house and put you straight on some of your misconceptions. They would advise on heat requirement, radiator types, boiler types ,boiler location etc. Your Victorian house sounds as though it is worth having this expert viewing.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:03 pm

You will need a pump (assuming you want the system to actually give heat from the radiators).

You need a plumber and if any gas work needs carrying out (which there will be) you need a RGI. Get a few prices.

You don't seem to understand the basic principles of a heating system, or even gravity/convection - you must know that heat rises ? so how would the water circulate around the radiator below the boiler ?

"i was under the impression you don’t need a pump if all the devices you feed are below the boiler "

So a DIY installation - in this case - in my opinion - would be a disaster.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1