Central heating installation - concrete floors
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DHNI
Labourer
Labourer

Central heating installation - concrete floors

Post by DHNI » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:03 am

Hi,

I'm a complete novice on such issues. I have recently bought a house with an electric heating. I want to replace this with oil fired central heating. As the house has concrete floors I don't want to rip the floors up to get the central heating installed and want the pipes to run down the wall, through cupboards etc. The aim is to have very few pipes showing. As I say, I'm a complete novice and will be getting a company to do the work, but before I do, I would appreciate some advice if the job is possible to ensure this can be achieved without having pipes showing and detracting from the good standard of decoration?

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 pm

No installer will want to put pipes in a concrete floor. Simply chasing out would be time consuming and expensive. All the main supply pipes will run under the floorboards upstairs with drops down to each radiator below.

You must discuss with the engineer during the quote and agree exactly where the pipes are to run so as to make sure he accounts for all the work needed to be done.

Remember, the pipes have to reach the radiator so routing through cupboards won't always work.

Some other options are bringing pipes down in another room and bringing the tails through the wall, using the corner of a room then boxing over, dropping down next to a window behind the curtains or behind a door where they would be less obtrusive.

Give consideration to the boiler location too as they always need a lot of large pipes.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:01 pm

There's no problem installing in concrete as long as the pipes are protected - however it's alot more work - so more expensive unless you do the chases yourself.

Putting plastic capping or boxing pipes in corners do not look bad, as they can be painted/papered over.

You could use 10mm coated pipework, in YT4 trunking or similar - or you could chase the walls.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1