central heating leaking
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stevefillby
Labourer
Labourer

central heating leaking

by stevefillby » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi
I have just tried to light my old Rayburn 80 boiler but the casing has worn and water is leaking through the wall !
I assume that this unit is now dead and needs replacing with something more up to date . In our village there is no mains gas . I have no preferance for any particular fuel , what is the current advice as to the best fuel and boiler type ? as the rest of my system is in good condition what sort of figure am I looking at for the supply and installation of a new boiler ?
Thanks for any advice
Steve

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:40 pm

Of the main options open to you i.e. Oil or LPG, oil is definatley the cheaper to run, however LPG equipment tends to be cheaper to buy & service. New option is biomass fuel, check out the availability of the fuel and what is on offer boiler wise through the internet. To get installation costs invite three installers in to price job, you tell them what you want so they are alll price the same job and never pay money up front.

coaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by coaster » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:00 am

i would definately go lpg and i disagree with not paying up front
labour charges should be paid on completion and satifaction agreed but all customers should pay for boilers materials up front as this should not be put on the heating engineer you are talking standing over a thousand pounds and what if the costomer refuses to pay through no fault of yours just being funny this could lead to all sorts of problems it is ok for the big companies to withstand this but the self employed one man band it just isnt practical

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:57 pm

No reputable company or one man band should require money up front and they should have a trade account with a merchants with a 30 or 60 day intrest free credit account. So they have not laid money out front either. NEVER EVER PAY MONEY UP FRONT if they are a reputable company they will not ask for it either. How ever once the job is complete and you are happy the money should be handed over straight away.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1