Central Heating New Project
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

vernon57
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating New Project

by vernon57 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:04 pm

I have moved into a old farmhouse which has no central heating at all. We have log/coal burners to heat some rooms with old night storage in others. It is a 5 bedroom house with ground & first floor with no space problems for boilers, cylinders, cold water storage etc. We have a large (2500 litre) oil storage tank in the garden which is used at present to supply oil only to our Aga. There is no mains gas for miles! We have three bathrooms with electric immersion heaters in two of them with the Aga supplying hot water to the third. It is only my wife & I living in the house but we have visitors/family staying regularly so want/need effective hot water systems for showering etc to the two bathrooms not having water heated by the Aga.
I have no pre-conceived ideas of what heating/hot water sysytem or boiler type to use but from what I can gather from central heating forums the vented system with cold water storage & back-up electric immersion heater seems to be the favoured choice for my type of house (I could stand corrected here). I could also possibly encorporate one of the log/coal burning fires with an added water heating facility into the system if practicable & sensible to do so. My initail heat loss calculations indicate a boiler capacity of approx 29.5KW including domestic hot water. Where can I get more info on design/product considerations to enable me to have an efficient/reliable heating/hot water system before just forging ahead & then wishing that I had asked more questions first. I appreciate that the boiler installation will need to be done by a recognised OFTEC plumber but I will be installing & commisioning the rest of the system myself. Any comments about using Hep2O for the pipework instead of copper.