Central Heating Pump
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jorad
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Pump

by jorad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:38 pm

My central heating pump seems to have overheated and has charred a duvet that was resting on it. Is this serious? I am worried that I am at risk of an electrical fire. The central heating won't turn on at the moment and the pump itself is very hot to the touch. Can this wait until tomorrow morning or do I need to take immediate action? Any advice would be appreciated.

LeeB
Labourer
Labourer

by LeeB » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:01 pm

It sounds to me as if you should isolate off the supply to the pump (remove the fuse at the consumer unit or trn off the mcb) and get an electrician, or someone who knows what they are doing, to test the pump.

I had a similar problem when the impeller shaft on the pump sheared off and the elecric motor was running, but hot water was not getting around the system.

Your problem does not sound exactly the same as you say a duvet was charred, a domestic boiler cannot heat water in a system to a tempearture high enough to do this.

On the basis that water and electricity do not mix, you really should isolate the pump immediately - you wouldn't want to leave it to chance and get a nasty and dangerous surprise! Sorry this is not immediately helpful in diagnosing the problem, but the advice is on the lines of safety.

thedoctor

Re: Central Heating Pump

by thedoctor » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:52 pm

[quote="jorad"]My central heating pump seems to have overheated and has charred a duvet that was resting on it. Is this serious? I am worried that I am at risk of an electrical fire. The central heating won't turn on at the moment and the pump itself is very hot to the touch. Can this wait until tomorrow morning or do I need to take immediate action? Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

jorad
Labourer
Labourer

by jorad » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks LeeB. I have managed to get that much done and have the guy who installed our boiler coming tomorrow. He reckons the pump has packed in. Glad we got it on time. Appreciate the advice.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm