Central Heating System Question
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DamianBurrin
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating System Question

Post by DamianBurrin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi guys - simple question for you lot i'm sure.

My central heating system has been in the house since it was built ~1989 it's never been a particulaly hot system since we moved in 1999 always favoring radiators at the top of the house (obviously) and it doesn't have T/S vales.

We've got a contract with BG and never had problems getting them out.

Recently we had a leaking rad valve the guy came out next day replaced it and noticed the radiator wasn't really getting warm. He had a look at the pump said it seemed to be a bit sluggesh and replaced it (as part of the contract) saying it was full of slime (he showed me and is was pretty bunged up with what looke like pinkish scale) the replacement pump seems to be working a treat as the radiators do get warmer than they did before. He did recomend a 'powerflush' on the system to remove the crap from the system but i havn't had this done yet as it seems very expensive (rough quote was £500 he said someone could come down for an exact qoute)

The question is - ever since the repalcement pump i've noticed that there is a constant dribble of hot water into the header/expansion tank in the loft. If i turn the pump down from 3 to 1 it almosts stops but the radiators take longer to warm up (obviously) I've turned the setting down on the boiler from 5 - 3 and it has made no difference.

Is this becasue of crap in the system causing excess overpressure? - would a flush fix this? Is it possible the cylinder coil is split (read somthing similar here that suggested this as a possilbe - the cylinder is only 3 or 4 yrs old and was replaced by BG under the contract as it was leaking)

Any ideas or advise taken greatfully

Thanks
Damian

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:46 pm

DamianBurrin,
Set the pump on 2 and there should be no overspill from the vent pipe.
Don't bother with powerflush add some CH cleaner to the system and follow the instructions on the bottle.
end

DamianBurrin
Labourer
Labourer

Post by DamianBurrin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]DamianBurrin,
Set the pump on 2 and there should be no overspill from the vent pipe.
Don't bother with powerflush add some CH cleaner to the system and follow the instructions on the bottle.
end[/quote]

I've already set the pump to 2 and it makes no difference. Setting it to 1 nearly stops it but not quite and then the radiators take to long to get warm.

Cheers
Damian

aceone
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by aceone » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:18 pm

yes i agree 100% with stoneyboy

moonguy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Central Heating System Question

Post by moonguy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:58 pm

[quote="DamianBurrin"]Hi guys - simple question for you lot i'm sure.

My central heating system has been in the house since it was built ~1989 it's never been a particulaly hot system since we moved in 1999 always favoring radiators at the top of the house (obviously) and it doesn't have T/S vales.

We've got a contract with BG and never had problems getting them out.

Recently we had a leaking rad valve the guy came out next day replaced it and noticed the radiator wasn't really getting warm. He had a look at the pump said it seemed to be a bit sluggesh and replaced it (as part of the contract) saying it was full of slime (he showed me and is was pretty bunged up with what looke like pinkish scale) the replacement pump seems to be working a treat as the radiators do get warmer than they did before. He did recomend a 'powerflush' on the system to remove the crap from the system but i havn't had this done yet as it seems very expensive (rough quote was £500 he said someone could come down for an exact qoute)

The question is - ever since the repalcement pump i've noticed that there is a constant dribble of hot water into the header/expansion tank in the loft. If i turn the pump down from 3 to 1 it almosts stops but the radiators take longer to warm up (obviously) I've turned the setting down on the boiler from 5 - 3 and it has made no difference.

Is this becasue of rubbish in the system causing excess overpressure? - would a flush fix this? Is it possible the cylinder coil is split (read somthing similar here that suggested this as a possilbe - the cylinder is only 3 or 4 yrs old and was replaced by BG under the contract as it was leaking)

Any ideas or advise taken greatfully

Thanks
Damian[/quote]

Hi

Did you manage to sort your problem, as I have the same problem, although my pump was put on to 3, normaally run on 1 with no problem, so will try 2moz back to one, but did you find anyother clues?

Neil

DamianBurrin
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Central Heating System Question

Post by DamianBurrin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi

Did you manage to sort your problem, as I have the same problem, although my pump was put on to 3, normaally run on 1 with no problem, so will try 2moz back to one, but did you find anyother clues?

Neil[/quote]

Not really. BG came today to quote and said nearly £700 to flush, though it appears they don't take the rads off to do this only flush from one.

I looked at the cleaner stuff suggested but i can't drain the system. wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Anyone recommend a good plumber in the lincoln area?

Cheers
Damian

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

Post by swidders » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:15 am

To drain the system you're looking for a fitting that a hose can slip onto - search online for a picture of a draincock. This should either be on a radiator on the ground (or lowest) floor or sticking outside on one of your house walls close to the ground.

You should be able to turn off the water to the header tank by its isolating valve situated near it or by tying up the ball valve. Then follow manufacturers instructions (usually pour it into the header tank and run the system for a while before draining it down again).

The coil in the cylinder has not split since, if it had, water would be overflowing regardless of the pump being on or not.

I'd give the flush a go first - £20 and a small spanner!

PS don't try and block the overflow pipe to stop the trickle - I suggested this recently and got ripped apart. It's not safe in spite of what I'd been told by an old pro!

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:38 am

Hi Damian,

Ask family/friends if they know of any decent ones?

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1