CH Pipe Tight up Against Floor Board Causing Expanding Clicks
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
itisgeorge
Labourer
Labourer

CH Pipe Tight up Against Floor Board Causing Expanding Clicks

by itisgeorge » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:18 am

Hi all,

Had laminate flooring pulled up in favour of a new carpet being fitted and ever since the central heating pipe exiting the floorboard to the radiator has begun clicking when heating up.

Could well be a coincidence, but I've been back under the carpet to have a look at it appears the pipe is tight up against the bottom edge of the floor board as it goes through and curves (see pic).

I don't really have the DIY skills to start disconnecting CH pipes to make the hole larger, but wondered if anybody could think of a safe way to enlarge the hole while keeping everything intact.

Appreciate the help - see pic.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: CH Pipe Tight up Against Floor Board Causing Expanding Clicks

by stoneyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:59 pm

Hi itisgeorge,
Suggest you buy a pad saw, cut back towards the wall both sides and break out a piece behind the pipe.
Regards S.

itisgeorge
Labourer
Labourer

by itisgeorge » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:10 am

stoneyboy wrote:Hi itisgeorge,
Suggest you buy a pad saw, cut back towards the wall both sides and break out a piece behind the pipe.
Regards S.

Appreciate the reply! I didn't specify but the bit that rubs is actually in front of the pipe, furthest away from the wall. The pipe goes down vertically fine but bends a bit too early under the board and looks like it catches the edge.

I'm assuming this because the noise is quietened by pushing on the pipe towards the wall when its clicking.

Thanks in advance!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi itisgeorge,
Same solution except you cut out the front.
Regards S?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1