Change Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lew09
Labourer
Labourer

Change Ceiling Rose

Post by Lew09 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:32 am

Change Ceiling Rose

I want to change a ceiling rose fitting in our utility room. The applicable fuse covers the lounge, kitchen, WC as well as the utility room lighting, if that’s relevant. Having turned off the power I unscrewed the existing ceiling rose but found the terminals different from the new ceiling rose.
The existing rose has three terminals. There are 3 cables coming through the ceiling, all black red and earth.
All the earths are connected together but by-pass the ceiling rose.
3 reds wires are all connected to 1st terminal on ceiling rose.
2 blacks are connected to 2nd terminal on ceiling rose.
1 black is connected to 3rd terminal on ceiling rose.

The connections on the new ceiling rose are different like this:-

Live Loop Neutral
00 000 000

How must I connect the cables on to the new ceiling rose?
I have not been able to find a new rose with connections the same as my existing rose.
The light in the Utility Room is bog standard with just the one pull on/off switch, obviously not a dimmer.

I would be grateful for any advice that would help me to safely change the rose.

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:27 pm

please see all of the electrical projects in the DIY projects section. Wiring a ceiling rose, replacing a light fitting and lights and switches all have the answer.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Before doing ANYTHING mark the black on its own with red sleeving or tape, this is vital as it is the switched live coming back to the light and if you mix it up with the other blacks you WILL end up calling a leckie, now see projects page by all means
for info:
3 reds go to centre 3 in your rose.
2 blacks go to rhs 3 plus flex blue
1 red covered blk as above goes to lhs 2 with brwn of flex
project has coloured drawing to help
regards SPARX

Lew09
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Lew09 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks guys for the prompt assistance. I now feel I understand what to do and am confident of doing it safely.

Thanks

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:56 pm