DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Change of use

Postby jufrasin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi There!
Im a newbie to all this but me and my husband are hoping to buy a property that has a D1 use class to live in.
The property was originally a residential dwelling before having a change of use permitted 17 yrs ago. We do not want to make any changes to the property structurally or externally, even keeping the same room layout, so no building work to be done (this place was used a meeting hall).
My understanding is that it will probably just be a formality to have the the change of use granted but we would not be able to do this until we own the property and we would have to live in it straight away. Would we be breaking any laws or codes to move in and then have the change of use granted? I have emailed and telephoned my local planning office repeatedly and am just told that they are out of the office so am turning to you guys for any advice in the meantime.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:42 am

Im not sure if you can just move in without any chanes being made,New enviromental polices require insulation to be installed and new fire regulations may require you to alter some things.
I would consult an architect first,he will advise you better.
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics