Changed ceiling light - knock on effect - help needed please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trickyneath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changed ceiling light - knock on effect - help needed please

by trickyneath » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:30 am

Hi,

I changed a ceiling light in one of our berooms last night, however this appears to have now disabled the use of our landing light! :?

The light was an old ceiling fan, left over from when we bought the house about a year ago, and is now replaced with a standard rose and pendant.

Our house is some 40-odd years old and still has the old light wiring i.e. red and black. However, when I removed the old fan-light there were two blacks instead of the one I expected. As I've left one of the blacks disconnected for now, could this be the cause of the break for the landing light?

All other lights in the house work and no trips were thrown when I knocked all the lights back on.

Before you ask, I have checked that the bulb works :)

kuzz
Ganger
Ganger

by kuzz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:26 pm

You have 2 blacks because one is a neutral coming in. one is a neutral going out to your next light. in this case it would appear to be the landing light. connect it back up, everything should work again. ensue you isolate the circit before you work on it.

trickyneath
Apprentice
Apprentice

by trickyneath » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi Kuzz,

Thanks for your reply mate, I was hoping this was going to be the case!

Cheers,
Rich

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:05 pm