Changed fuse but some lights still won't work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sfjnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changed fuse but some lights still won't work

by sfjnet » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:09 pm

My friend has phoned me with a problem that has me stumped (but then I don't know much about electrics). She lives in an older Victorian house that still has a fuse box with the ceramic cartridges that use fuse wire. All of her downstairs lights and sockets are apparently on one circuit. In the past when one of her halogen bulbs in her kitchen has blown it has also blown the fuse, and she is an expert at changing the wire. It happened again today and she has changed the fuse wire as normal, but while the sockets on the circuit are working again, her overhead lights are not. I have no idea why she would have some electrics on a circuit working while others don't. If you have any ideas I would be grateful to hear them. Her main query though is - is it safe to leave the power on in this type of circumstance?
Thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Changed fuse but some lights still won't work

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:54 pm

[quote="sfjnet"]My friend has phoned me with a problem that has me stumped (but then I don't know much about electrics). She lives in an older Victorian house that still has a fuse box with the ceramic cartridges that use fuse wire. All of her downstairs lights and sockets are apparently on one circuit. In the past when one of her halogen bulbs in her kitchen has blown it has also blown the fuse, and she is an expert at changing the wire. It happened again today and she has changed the fuse wire as normal, but while the sockets on the circuit are working again, her overhead lights are not. I have no idea why she would have some electrics on a circuit working while others don't. If you have any ideas I would be grateful to hear them. Her main query though is - is it safe to leave the power on in this type of circumstance?
Thanks[/quote]

SFJNET
The installation sound very dated.
I would advise getting in an electrician to have a look.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 am