Changing a 2 Gang 2 way Dimmer Light Switch to Normal Switch in Living Room
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gingeral
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a 2 Gang 2 way Dimmer Light Switch to Normal Switch in Living Room

by gingeral » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:42 pm

Hello,

I am trying to replace a 2 gang 2 way dimmer switch in my living room to a standard 2 gang 2 way switch . The original had two dimmer switches, 1 for the main light and another to dim two wall lights. I think i would only need a two gang 1 way switch as there is only one switch in the room but the original dimmer was 2 way so i bought a 2 way.

I have copied the wiring from the original switch to the new switch. My problem is that only one of the wall lights will turn on. If i put bulbs in both lights the one furthest away from the switch will light and the other won't. If i remove the furthest bulb the nearer will light.

I am using LED bulbs in all the lights if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changing a 2 Gang 2 way Dimmer Light Switch to Normal Switch in Living Room

by ericmark » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:38 pm

I will guess you have wired in series not parallel. With tungsten bulbs coming on half brilliance was a give away. With LED however they can work with full output at 150 volt so they can be miss leading. I will guess you have got the two circuits mixed up.

As to two way and on/off with two way switch wires go to L1 and L2 both switches connected together like for like so master with have two wires in L1 and L2 and one wire in Com and slave with have one wire in each terminal. On/off however used com and L1 as the switch wires.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 am