All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuhow
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a radiator in an appartment with communal heating

by stuhow » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi,

We are lookign to decorate our bathroom and as part of this we want to change the radiator in our bathroom to a towel radiator. It looks like a straight forward job as the current radiator is connected using flexible pipes so connecting the new raditor should be quite easy.

The question i wish to ask is whether I can actually do this because I live in an appartment with a communal boiler and central heating system. This boiler is located in a small plant room which i do not have access to and serves 6 appartments. Will it be possible to bleed my system without having access to the boiler or is it even wise to do such a job or will i need to contact my management company?

I can control the central heating and switch it off within the appartment but I am not too sure whther this will be suffice. I live in an appartment that is only 1 year old so the system is new.

I have searched everywhere for an answer to this question as I don't want to start something and then realise I have made a HUGE mistake.

Cheers for any help

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Wed May 06, 2009 11:51 am

If the existing flexihoses have a built in valve then it's very easy. There must be a hot and cold water stopcock in your apartment in case of emergency.

Have a chat with the builder to find out where they are situated. Normally they will be in the kitchen or bathroom.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed May 06, 2009 9:08 pm

When you turn the central heating off, all you'll be controlling is something like a two port valve/motorised valve.

You will be able to isolate both radiator valves and change the radiator to a towel rail - simple, and bleeding will probably be easy as it will have a pressurisation unit in the boiler house.

Shouldn't be any major problems.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:47 pm