CHANGING A SWITCH TO A DIMMER SWITCH
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lcfcbaz
Labourer
Labourer

CHANGING A SWITCH TO A DIMMER SWITCH

by lcfcbaz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi a newbie here!
Sorry if this has been asked before but i have a problem, i just brought a dimmer switch 1 way to replace a a conventional switch but when i went to install it i realised that the old conventional switch was a 2 way and had a old fashioned pull cord switch the other side of the room,when taking the switch from the wall(conventional),i noticed that 3 wires 1 red that went to common and 2 black that went to l1 and l2 no problem i thought,i don,t need the pull cord switch so i will ignore l2 connection so i fitted the dimmer with common and l1 and left the old l2 wire disconncted but coverd the bare wire with tape and fixed the dimmer to wall so next i switched the main power back on and turned the dimmer on as expected it worked perfect then just by chance i pulled the old pull cord switch and to my suprise it switched it off then i pulled it again and it turned the light on again scratching my head i thought because i didnt connect l2 it wouldnt work! is it safe to leave it like this or not and what was l2 wire doing originaly thanks in advance for any solutions but i need to check if this is ok because its in my sons room and it is often left on all night and i don't want to put anyone in danger like over heating or something! :shock:

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:16 pm

ICFCBAZ
If as u say , u do not need the pullcord two way switch , then
, with safe isolation of supply ( mains turned off ) , it could be taken out of circuit. I would advise u to get this checked then by an electrcian .
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:08 pm