Changing a tv socket for a chrome one
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Fizzpop*123
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a tv socket for a chrome one

by Fizzpop*123 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm changing my old white tv aerial socket for a new polished chrome one.....I cannot fathom the instructions, plus it says I need to attach a wire to the faceplate, but there doesn't seem to be an extra wire to attach..........please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changing a tv socket for a chrome one

by ericmark » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 pm

Two basic types of TV socket.
1) With filter
2) Without filter
The socket connected to the aerial outside will normally have a filter to stop you getting a shock should you plug something in or out during an electric storm. Also where a pre-amp/splitter/combiner is used in the loft the socket often has a filter to split radio, terrestrial TV and satellite TV.

However the filters stop DC and for Sky in order to change channels remote from main box one needs to send DC through the coax so then we use a socket without a filter so the Sky digi-eye will work.

Connecting an earth to an aerial could cause a lighting strike so the earth if used will only be connected after a filter and in the main there are no earth connections made to any part of aerial network.

So in the main the coax will be only connection made. The outer is often folded back and clamped and the inner going into a screw connection. Some do need a "F connector" plug to make connection and there are face plates with satellite x 2 and TV in plus TV out plus Radio out and even a phone connection as well.

No idea what type you have or what it is connecting to so can't really give a step by step instructions but I suspect you have selected one of the specials rather than a normal single socket.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm