changing fire
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clm86home
Labourer
Labourer

changing fire

by clm86home » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Dear all,

I currently have a fuel burning fire and surround yet is very dated and wish to remove.
I wish to replace it with an electirc fire stove that I want to stand in the ressess which is currently the fireplace.

Could anyone advise me what steps to take in closing up/blocking the chimney which i have as it will not be required, yet i still want the ressess and do not want to brick over the hole.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

changing fire

by Perry525 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

At the moment, when the fire is out, you have a situation where hot air from the room rises up the chimney and cold comes down.
The first thing is to cap the chimney to stop the rain and cold air dropping down inside it.
The next is to seal the chimney at the bottom to stop your very expensive hot air from the electric fire disappearing.
Now we need to know, is the chimney in the middle of the house or on an outside wall?
If the chimney is on an outside wall, then it will be very cold inside and a convection current will start up inside the chimney moving the heat from the room to the outside. (Not good!)
In this case the chimney needs to be covered with polystyrene to stop the humidity in the room soaking into the chimney breast and creating a major heat loss, before it moves across the chimney space and condenses on the outside chimney wall.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:38 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:43 am