DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Changing from Flemish Bond to English Bond when Rebuilding Wall

Postby bouba » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm

I am removing a section of structural 215mm solid wall of 1930 house built in Deleted area for a beam to sit on.

The structural engineer has asked to rebuild the end section of this wall in engineering bricks.

My issue is :
The bonding used to build this side wall of the house is flemish bond. It uses 75mm bricks.

Can i tooth in the wall with 63mm bricks and change the bond to english bond as it is stronger. Thanks for the help.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 pm


Simply Build It

Postby diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:49 am

Yes - so long is it is tied to the existing wall you can even use blocks if you need to/want to. It might be easier/quicker to cut the wall and then use furfix strips to join the walls?
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics