Changing from Fluorescent lights to spotlights in kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
oldkep2012
Labourer
Labourer

Changing from Fluorescent lights to spotlights in kitchen

by oldkep2012 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:36 am

Hi ,
Although my fluorescent lights in kitchen are excellent in respect of light emission i wish to go to a more modern outlook by fitting individual spotlights on a bar.

I will have a qualified electrician to do the work but first of all i want to know how easy and feasible it is to change.

Present set up is two x 5 foot fluorescent lights which are controlled by a switch at both ends of the kitchen. I cant have only one of the lights on at a time it has to be both... so obviously either switch controls both lights.

What i require is say a bar with 6 spotlights on each bar replacing each fluorescent position , so 12 lights in total. Each rack of 6 to be controlled by one present switch at one end of the room and the other rack of 6 controlled by the other switch .... so therefore i would be able to just have one rack only if required.

Q U E S T I O N ...... How easy is it for the electric wiring to be adjusted without accessing the loft area......... we live in a bungalow anyway but CAN IT ALL BE DONE IN THE KITCHEN via the switches and ceiling cables ?

As you can obviously tell i know nothing of electrics and would use a qualified electrician...... i am just assessing the possibilities .........
I was thinking of 12 x 50w lamps to replace present fluorescents.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
kep

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changing from Fluorescent lights to spotlights in kitche

by ericmark » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:27 am

luminite.co.uk do a range of radio controlled switches and there are also other makes doing the same. This means you have a battery in the switch but they are not changed very often. So you can have as many switches controlling as many lights as you want even have a remote fob if you wish.

However kitchens are normally hot and we try as much as we can to reduce the amount of heat going into the kitchen area. Florescent or other discharge lighting and LED lights don't produce as much heat as tungsten so in the main any form of tungsten is a no for kitchens.

I have really noted the difference going from a standard ceramic hob to an induction hob kitchen now cooler. However there are some people who seem to like sweating and even cook on gas. But normally old kitchens where gas is used are either tall so natural ventilation takes heat to top of room or have extractor fans to remove the heat.

I think in the Winter spots do make the room warmer and lighter and are a great way to make the whole room feel warm but they are not wanted for Summer so to add spots for use in winter is great but you still want florescent for summer.

I would look at the 2D range of lamps. They are still florescent but often round or square and look better than the long strip lamp. HF types use less power and last longer don't flicker as much so I would fit electronic type.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 am

Hi,
to answer the question of switching,

your current set up has one light being switched from both ends (ie 2way) with the second light wired as an extention from the first.
It is almost impossible to change to what you want without some rewiring in the loft.

regards SPARX

oldkep2012
Labourer
Labourer

by oldkep2012 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks Sparks for replying to my actual question.

Since posting my question i have read quite a lot about kitchen lighting and i am coming to the conclusion that there is nothing better for the kitchen than what i have at present..... i will now seek more modern looking fluorescents that will preserve the present light output .

THANKS ALL for your comments .

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 am