DIY Doctor

Changing from one light to two

Postby aj_sully » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:43 pm


I currently have a fluorescent light in my kitchen running off a single switch and I am hoping to convert this to two pendant lights. Is this a relatively simple change? I don't believe I will be overloading the circuit as I will be reducing the total watts from what is there before. Does anyone have any really simple diagram of what needs to be done? Also, would this have to be part-p approved as it is in the kitchen?

Many thanks in advance,
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:34 pm


Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:58 am


would involve running a twin cable brown and blue 1.5 with earth
to 2nd ceiling rose. from 1st ceiling rose ( after replacing the existing fitting.)
you would be altering the design of the circuit and changing
earth loop impeadances , which determine disconnection times
of protective devices ( mcb s ) .
PART P would be involved because of the kitchen as a speacial
get in your part p sparky to test and inspect and certify.

Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Postby ericmark » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:25 am

As Blakey says but you say less wattage? A discharge lamp of which fluorescent lights are one type will give 4 to 10 times the light one gets from a bulb so either your kitchen will be a lot darker or the new lights will use more power. I have seen lighting track fitted to replace a fluorescent as it allows a number of lights with only one connection really a neat way to run surface wires. The big problem with fluorescent lights is they get dimmer as the tube gets older and harder to strike. In industry HF units are becoming popular as they strike easier and use less power and the tubes last a lot longer and lend themselves to emergency lighting as well. But look the same as old type fluorescent and even use same tubes. The tubes are also not one flavor both in colour warm, cold, or degree K and built in reflectors so from same supplier can cost between 60p and £4 according to quality. Plus the specials like the 2D where the tube is not straight but bent into a square. kitchens do need a lot of light. I would not fit straight tube anywhere else in house although I do use energy saving lamps but in kitchens either you need loads and loads of lights or one big fluorescent light.
Quote from part P.
b. Replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable, even if carried out in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation. end of quote.
So if you replace fluorescent like for like reading that you will not need part P but "extensions to circuits in kitchens" will not sure how replacing a fluorescent for a lighting track would be seen. I don't think I would bother "first catche monkey"


Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics