Changing Fuse Box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tomtheplumber
Labourer
Labourer

Changing Fuse Box

by tomtheplumber » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi guys,
I have a old fuse box and would like it replaced with a upto date regs CU,
but before i call the electrician out i would be grateful to have some questions answered on what is involved in doing the job correctly,

Q1- should i have meter tails changed they look like 16mm, or is this okay.

Q2- is a isolator switch between meter and cu a good idea.

Q3- the electricity company's main fuse is rated at 60/80amp is it possible to have this changed with a 100amp.

thank you for any help.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:58 am

Q1 meter tails of 16mm are within regs but some suppliers want 25mm and it’s their call.
Q2 yes as under health and safety rules one should isolate “else where” often the supply authority will provide one when they upgrade. It is expected the isolator on the consumer unit is used for switching the exterior one is not suitable for switching under load it is only an isolator. Although technical required very seldom are exterior isolators provided unless the tails are over 3 meters long and although good idea I would not say required.
Q3 normally yes but may need 25mm tails you need to ask supply authority it again is their call.
These questions should be asked of person changing meter he has to sign paperwork and he may see reasons why these general answers will not apply for example size of 30ma RCD if 63Amp would maybe cause a problem if 100 amp supply requested.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:04 pm