DIY Doctor

Main navigation

changing kitchen cabinet downlights

Postby lemonmonkey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 am

Hi, I'm really sorry for the simple question but can anyone tell me how to change a kitchen cabinet downlight? They are not halogen and are the circular kind. i have managed to pop out the light bit from the surround but I cannot manage to open the part that seems to have a bulb in it. I have tried twisting it clockwise / anticlockwise and prising it with a screwdriver but no luck. Do I have to replace the whole part? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:21 am


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

If you have a look around the edge of the bulb in the fitting, there should be a semi-circular metal clip that fits in to the enclosure this holds the bulb, it should have two tails that you can nip together to free it or get a screwdriver to one side and it will spring out. Then the bulb will drop.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby moggy1968 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:56 pm

the type desctibed by KB is the most common. It's not unknow for people to lose the ring and glue the bulb in!
other possibility is that the bulb is held in by a retaining ring which is flush fitting (it becomes the faceplate of the light), these can become very stiff with time. look to see if the bulb is slightly overlapped by the casing, if so it is probably this type.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics