Changing light fittings........
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
batfink82
Labourer
Labourer

Changing light fittings........

by batfink82 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:23 am

Hi there looking for some advice........i have just changed the light fittings in my lounge. All was going well, i replaced the normal switch and tested it. I then changed the second switch for an electronic dimmer switch (the old switch was a traditional dimmer switch). I put the wires in exactly as they had been in the old switch. However when turning the power back on the light seems to go through a 5 second cycle in which it gets gradually darker then lighter!! This carries on continuously. Can anyone explain why this happens? Do I need a different type of ordinary switch?

Any ideas greatly appreciated

goretex
Labourer
Labourer

by goretex » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:24 pm

when you say you have change the light fittings are these new ones halogen ??

I had a similar problem where the lights dimmed and back bright and it was down to the dimmer itself

All mains voltage halogen bulbs (eg GU10 and G9 types) can be dimmed but may require a dimmer of higher wattage than the total wattage of the light fitting they are dimming. All low voltage Halogen bulbs (eg G4, G6.35 and G5.3 types) may require special dimmers dependant on their transformer type and we do advise not to use dimmers with them. However, any qualified electrician should be able to advise, supply and fit these for you.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi don't think sw. is prob but is electronic dimmer a remote control type, if so is control button stuck down? can't think any other reason for cycling action, regards SPARX

batfink82
Labourer
Labourer

by batfink82 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:50 pm

Hi, thanks for you replies.....

i havent yet changed the actual lights yet, so it is still the manky old single bulb. the light will just cycle if left on, I copied the wiring from the old dimmer switch so i trust that was correct. my next idea is to take back the light fitting and see if it is faulty.....I will let you know if this solves the problem!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 am