Changing light switch cover - earth help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Loki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changing light switch cover - earth help

by Loki » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:54 pm

In my living room I have 2 seperate switches that both control the one light. I'm wanting to put new silver/metal fronts on the switches each of which have to be earthed. Ive taken the old switches off the wall and can see two grey wires coming in to the junction box behind, inside each grey wire (along with all of the other expected wiring) there is 2 earth wires (one icoming out of each grey cable) theres are connected to the junction box itself. Would i be ok to add a new earth wire to the same point attced to the junction box and ten run that to the new switch front :?: , hope that makes sense... :wink:

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi Loki,
that would be perfectly okay, and the method I would use. Assuming your back boxes are also metal, the switch face plate would be earthed to the backbox via the metal machine screws attaching the face plate to metal back boxes as well.
Regards
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:37 pm

Correct method would be to move to switch plate but the screws which hold the switch plate will earth it as long as not slack and not so much of a big deal as long as connected. The problem with connecting to switch plate is moving the plate to position it on the wall can if not fitted correct dislodge wires and if it dislodges earth wires then no earth so although not correct it may be better to leave as they are.
Eric

Loki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks

by Loki » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks guys, all installed and working fine with the new earth wire installed, your help was greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Loki. :D

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:53 am