Changing MCB in consumer unit.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Unclebill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changing MCB in consumer unit.

Post by Unclebill » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:05 pm

I've had a look and a search so I'll just ask and see what happens. One of the MCB's in my consumer unit appears to have failed. I have no intention of touching it personally but just as a matter of interest how does one get the old one out and fit the new one?
It looks as though it should just unplug and lift out but it seems to be totally immoveable. I'd love to know how its done.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 am

Hi purely for interest! almost all con. units have plastic cover over live buss-bar along bottom of MCBs with label saying sw. off b4 removing! under which are the screw terminals holding the live connection to each MCB, by undoing the screw the MCB is then lifted up & out from its top mount on DIN rail. some makes cant be done this way as entire buss-bar has to be undone to remove even oneMCregards SPARX

Unclebill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Unclebill » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi purely for interest! almost all con. units have plastic cover over live buss-bar along bottom of MCBs with label saying sw. off b4 removing! under which are the screw terminals holding the live connection to each MCB, by undoing the screw the MCB is then lifted up & out from its top mount on DIN rail. some makes cant be done this way as entire buss-bar has to be undone to remove even oneMCregards SPARX[/quote]

Honest it is just 'as a matter of interest'. The design of the box makes it look as though they should just pull out easily!! just like the old fuse blocks did. No way will I get anywhere near live electricity!
Thanks for the info Sparx.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:38 am