DIY Doctor

Changing old radiayor for new.

Postby iainalec » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:24 am

I am trying to change a radiator in my bathroom and fit a thermastatic valve on. I have frozen the one side and fitted the valve, but then noticed that the new valve was 15mm and the old shut off valve the othere side is the old type fitting. to get round this I went and got adaptors that screwed into the radiator, one was 15mm the othere the old type.
Now I have put these in it makes the radiator to wide. how do I get round this.
Last edited by iainalec on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 am


Simply Build It

Postby TheDoctor4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 16777215
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Somerset in the UK in Shepton mallet

Postby swidders » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I've read your thread about 6 times and am still confused (it's probably me since am v. tired). What do you mean by "old type" of valve? And what are these adaptors you screwed in??

I may be completely missing the point, but when you replace radiator valves it's customary to remove the existing fitting that screws into the radiator and replace it with the one that comes with the new valve. For this you'll need either a spanner or a hexagonal radiator allen key, ptfe tape and possibly some jointing compound.

If the pipework is now not the perfect size and doesn't meet the new valve then you need to manufacture one that does fit, probably from a new piece and using pipe benders. If you don't want to go to the expense of all this then you could bodge it by using metal braided flexihose, cutting the pipe somewhere and using this to make it work. Far from elegant, not likely to be a selling point of the house, but will suffice until you get it done properly.

Hope this helps
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Postby iainalec » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 am

Sorry to cause the confusion, what I meant by old type was the 3/4 union end, as most of them now seem to be 15mm.
It started with just putting a thermostatic valve on, this had a 15mm connection, the connection on the radiator was 3/4, we couldnt take the fittings from the old radiator because they had been brazed in. we went and got a new radiator,and found this pack of adaptors one a 15mm connection the other 3/4, they also had an isolating valve in each one. ideal we thought but on fitting them it made the bottom of the rad about 20mm to wide to fit between the pipes.
These adaptors were bought at Wick's:
Ihave since gone to a plumbers merchant got the right adaptors and the rad is up and running as from last night.

Thanks for your help. :)
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:04 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics