Changing old radiayor for new.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iainalec
Labourer
Labourer

Changing old radiayor for new.

by iainalec » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:24 am

I am trying to change a radiator in my bathroom and fit a thermastatic valve on. I have frozen the one side and fitted the valve, but then noticed that the new valve was 15mm and the old shut off valve the othere side is the old type fitting. to get round this I went and got adaptors that screwed into the radiator, one was 15mm the othere the old type.
Now I have put these in it makes the radiator to wide. how do I get round this.
Last edited by iainalec on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I've read your thread about 6 times and am still confused (it's probably me since am v. tired). What do you mean by "old type" of valve? And what are these adaptors you screwed in??

I may be completely missing the point, but when you replace radiator valves it's customary to remove the existing fitting that screws into the radiator and replace it with the one that comes with the new valve. For this you'll need either a spanner or a hexagonal radiator allen key, ptfe tape and possibly some jointing compound.

If the pipework is now not the perfect size and doesn't meet the new valve then you need to manufacture one that does fit, probably from a new piece and using pipe benders. If you don't want to go to the expense of all this then you could bodge it by using metal braided flexihose, cutting the pipe somewhere and using this to make it work. Far from elegant, not likely to be a selling point of the house, but will suffice until you get it done properly.

Hope this helps

iainalec
Labourer
Labourer

old radiator for new.

by iainalec » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:54 am

Swidders,
Sorry to cause the confusion, what I meant by old type was the 3/4 union end, as most of them now seem to be 15mm.
It started with just putting a thermostatic valve on, this had a 15mm connection, the connection on the radiator was 3/4, we couldnt take the fittings from the old radiator because they had been brazed in. we went and got a new radiator,and found this pack of adaptors one a 15mm connection the other 3/4, they also had an isolating valve in each one. ideal we thought but on fitting them it made the bottom of the rad about 20mm to wide to fit between the pipes.
These adaptors were bought at Wick's: http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=1563&id=61071
Ihave since gone to a plumbers merchant got the right adaptors and the rad is up and running as from last night.

Thanks for your help. :)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm