Changing the gas pipe run in a kitchen
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sinead.ohalloran
Labourer
Labourer

Changing the gas pipe run in a kitchen

by sinead.ohalloran » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:37 pm

I have recently had work done in my kitchen. The wall between the kitchen and living room was taken down and the gas outlet for the oven moved from the wall that was taken down to the opposite wall. Basically the gas run was shortened. (The oven and the boiler are now on the same wall.) Does this need to be signed off by a CORGI registered engineer. My builder says it does not as the gas run was just shortened. Any ideas?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Any gas work has to carried out by a CORGI registered engineer, it doesn't matter how small or trivial it may seem.

DIY gas work is illegal - whether you do it yourself, the builder or a plumber. If they're not CORGI registered they shouldn't touch any gas pipework or appliances.

sinead.ohalloran
Labourer
Labourer

Changing the gas run in a kitchen

by sinead.ohalloran » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Thank you for your reply to my earlier question regarding shortening the gas run in a kitchen refit. I checked the contract I had with the builder and it does state that any changes to the gas run would be done by a CORGI registered plumber. However my builder is saying that because the gas run was simply shortened that he does not have to provide me with any paperwork to say the work was done by a CORGI registered person and obviously I have no way of checking the work. Having looked at various web sites I was under the impression that CORGI insist on providing a "gas sign off" for any work done and so I am suspicious that I have not received that. Should I insist on paperwork to prove that the work was done competantly?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:54 pm

CORGI installers only issue paperwork for new installations, gas services, safety checks, re-commissioning and warning notices when boilers are dangerous or sub-standard. There's no need to issue paperwork for pipe extensions or shortening.

I would contact to builder to clarify that it was carried out by a CORGI registered installer, if you're in any doubt you could get it checked but you would have to pay for it.

Is your annual gas service due or overdue ? if yes, get someone to do the service and they should also carry out a gas tightness test on all pipework and appliances. This will check for leaks and put your mind at rest.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 am