Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gemimabell
Labourer
Labourer

Changing tiles over underfloor heating?

by gemimabell » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi,

I am considering getting underfloor heating installed on my bathroom floor and laying new floor tiles. However, if i decide to change the bathroom floor tiles, in a couple of years time, is it possible to lift the tiles and lay new tiles over the underfloor heating without damaging the underfloor heating system? Or would i need to install new underfloor heating?

Thanks,
Gemma

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:53 pm

why would you want to change the tiles after only a couple of years? surely better to take the time to choose some that you like?? anyhow...

it would be risky to remove tiles if you wish to keep the underfloor heating. if laid correctly the tiles won't want to come up without a fight and the necessary brute force could easily damage the heating even with the greatest of care. and think of the consequences, if wet system then a potential flood on your hands. if electrical then the risk of shock, or removal and complete isolation from any electrical circuitry for ever more.

you'd be better off tiling straight on top of existing tiles, though this will of course affect the performance of the underfloor heating as it will be heating an extra layer. better still - buy tiles now that you'll be happy with for years to come!

if you were asking me to come and do this job for you professionally, i would have to be clear from the start that i could offer no guarantee at all that the heating would not get damaged and i'd expect to be paid for my time either way.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm