Changing to 'chased in' from plastic trunking!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garsmiff
Labourer
Labourer

Changing to 'chased in' from plastic trunking!

by garsmiff » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi
Our house was re wired by the local council just before us moving in approx 2.5 years ago, and was completed using plastic trunking and surface mounted boxes.
As the house is now ours, I was wondering if it would be worth while (as we are doing plenty of decorating :cry: ) to put all sockets/switches below the surface? Is there any advantages/disadvantages to surface mounted?
If I was to carry out this work, will this will need to be checked by a qualified electician, due to the changes?

Also, sockets/switches are all different heights around the house, is there a standard height for these, should they be at a standard height by law!!
Thanks
Garsmiff

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Changing to 'chased in' from plastic trunking!

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:27 am

[quote="garsmiff"]Hi
Our house was re wired by the local council just before us moving in approx 2.5 years ago, and was completed using plastic trunking and surface mounted boxes.
As the house is now ours, I was wondering if it would be worth while (as we are doing plenty of decorating :cry: ) to put all sockets/switches below the surface? Is there any advantages/disadvantages to surface mounted?
If I was to carry out this work, will this will need to be checked by a qualified electician, due to the changes?

Also, sockets/switches are all different heights around the house, is there a standard height for these, should they be at a standard height by law!!
Thanks
Garsmiff[/quote]

GARSMIFF
LIGHT SWITCHES 1200MM AND SOKETS 450MM.
WOULD BE WISE TO ENGAGE ELECTRICIAN AS MOVING EXISTING WIRING AND NEED TO ASERTAIN CONNECTIONS ARE
CORRECT.
BLAKEY1963

garsmiff
Labourer
Labourer

by garsmiff » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:48 am

Thanks Blakey, in your view, is it worth doing?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:36 pm

[quote="garsmiff"]Thanks Blakey, in your view, is it worth doing?[/quote]

GARSMIFF
OBVIOUSLY A INSTALLATION WHICH HAS THE ACCESSORIES
FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE LOOKS MORE COSMETICALLY
PLEASING. SURFACE TRUNKING CAN BE VIEWED BY SOME
TO BE OBTRUSIVE.
I AM ASKED OFTEN TO PUT SURFACE WIRING BACK INTO
THE WALL WHEN DECORATION TAKES PLACE AGAIN IN EX COUNCIL PROPERTIES. WOULD BE WORTH DOING AS REGARDS A SELLING POINT IF U EVER WANT TO LEAVE THE HOUSE.

BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:53 am