Chimney Damp Issue After Plastering Directly on to Brick Surface
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daz4i05
Labourer
Labourer

Chimney Damp Issue After Plastering Directly on to Brick Surface

Post by daz4i05 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 pm

I've recently had some work done in my loft and think I've got an issue with my chimney.

The house is a Victorian Mid Terrace with converted loft. The chimney has been removed on the first floor and ground floor but remains in the loft. When the conversion took place many years ago, the brickwork has had had plaster board dotted and dabbed and then skimmed from what I can tell.

When we had the room re skimmed, there is one patch of plaster that will just not dry. This patch had some plaster board removed exposing brick and the plaster was then applied directly on top of the brick.

I will try and upload a picture if I can.

Any ideas on what's wrong? I've been reading online and come across issues with salts etc in the brickwork?

daz4i05
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Chimney Damp Issue After Plastering Directly on to Brick Surface

Post by daz4i05 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 pm

I have now uploaded some images.

The one with the green wall is before the whole wall was skimmed and you can see the section that is bare brick.

The close up is how it looks now a month after being plastered.

There is then a far shot of the wall that shows the location of this patch being exactly in the smae spot as the bare brick part.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:55 am