Chimney problem
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
camel_face69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chimney problem

Post by camel_face69 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:53 pm

I've been reading the numerous posts about chimney damp on here and am after a little advice.

The internal wall of my chimney breast, in an upstairs room shows a damp problem in the top corner of the side of the breast spreading to the wall. There also appears to be damp on the internal face of the breast with a few spots appearing randomly here and there. The damp is showing through the wallpaper but is not brown in colour. The plaster is old on the wall/breast and is all cracked.

I have had the chimney repointed, flashing done etc to no avail. The problem appears worse since the chimney was blocked up below a few weeks ago when a back boiler & gas fire was removed. The top of the chimney is capped with some sort of silver capping device as there used to be a gas fire down below. Plumbers who removed back boiler etc said airflow should be fine as the top is not blocked.

I am at my wits end with this, can anyone help? :cry:

Thanks in anticipation.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Chimney problem

Post by Perry525 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 pm

It is most likely that the damp is the result of cracked or damaged flashing. We have had some strong winds coupled with heavy rain recently and it is quite likely that the rain is being pushed round or under the flashing. Take a look at the chimney flashing, has it been done properly has anyone done a bodged repair job?

camel_face69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by camel_face69 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for that Perry525, I've got a roofer friend coming in the morning to take a look so he should give me the low down on the flashing without any bull (hopefully). Altthough we have had the flashing looked at (and supposedly fixed) twice by others.

Thanks for the reply and I'll report back with the findings, although any further suggestions are more than welcome.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm