Choosing paint for newly plastered walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
*just_starting_out*
Labourer
Labourer

Choosing paint for newly plastered walls

by *just_starting_out* » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am

I've recently replastered my whole house. In some areas there are up 3 layers of browning under the new skim. After putting a layer of watered down paint (can anybody tell me which sort of paint is best to use – matt, vinyl??) can I then put what ever paint on top? I've heard that you have to leave kitchen & bathrooms months before you can put a bathroom or kitchen paint on – is this correct or is that only if you don't put the wash on first?

I've been to a Dulux Trade centre and they are quoting £41 per 5 litres, the Dulux "trade" in B&Q is cheaper & the normal Dulux cheaper still – Can anyone advise me on which way to go - is there really a big advantage of going with the Trade centre over the other options as it's twice the price of the normal Dulux & I have a whole house to decorate!! Thanks, Gemma.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm

*just_starting_out*,
You should really allow the walls to dry out before apply a paint which will seal them in. Use a damp meter to check how dry the walls are.
Dulux supermatt is intended for freshly plastered walls and I would recommend a coat of this diluted with water as your first coat.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:24 am