circuit breaker blown!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
postman pot
Labourer
Labourer

circuit breaker blown!

Post by postman pot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:48 pm

please help. my circuit breaker has blown leaving me with no lights working up stairs. The upstairs sockets work fine. Should i just replace the breaker or are there more serious faults? please help.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: circuit breaker blown!

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:37 pm

[quote="postman pot"]please help. my circuit breaker has blown leaving me with no lights working up stairs. The upstairs sockets work fine. Should i just replace the breaker or are there more serious faults? please help.[/quote]

POSTMAN POT

LEAVE UPSTAIRS MCB OFF and MAKE SURE CIRCUIT
FOR THE UPSTAIRS LIGHTS IS ISOLATED/OFF.
unplug all lamps if u can , and turn off all switches,
two way as well , in alternate position.
check any accessible pendants for short circuiting.
IF U CAN care fully with adequate lighting inspect
cables in the loft for damage and signs of short circuit.
If power can not be restored , then a fault is present
and without the proper test gear that electricians
possess , u will it hard to pinpoint the problem.
AND replacing with a new mcb will not remove the
problem , IF a faulty circuit .
Another reason to call in an elecrician would b 2 check
that the mcb is working correctly to eliminate from
the problem

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 pm

I agree with BLAKEY1963 and since I know you have been working on your lights from previous posts I wonder what you did to blow it and what you mean by blown. Even with short circuit one does not get many MCB's fail and first question with all power off i.e. at main switch will the MCB reset? When you tried to use it was there any electrical bangs pops or flashes. Although they do fail without a fault else where this is unusual.
There is a time when you must realize one limitations and bit the bullet and get an electrician in however embarrassing it may be. I am not saying you have reached that point but you must consider the safety of yourself and others and only if you are certain you know what you are doing continue.
Mistakes with electricity can be irreversible.
Eric

postman pot
Labourer
Labourer

circuit breaker blown!

Post by postman pot » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:46 pm

thanks for the heads up reguarding my breaker issue. I checked terminations on pendant, and rewired making sure all wires fit tight and snugly. Reset breaker and everything seems fine. If breaker trips again will call in a pro.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: circuit breaker blown!

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:48 pm

[quote="postman pot"]thanks for the heads up reguarding my breaker issue. I checked terminations on pendant, and rewired making sure all wires fit tight and snugly. Reset breaker and everything seems fine. If breaker trips again will call in a pro.[/quote]

POSTMAN POT

Good move

Blakey1963

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 am