Circuit Breaker Tripping and Socket Sparking
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Beddyford
Labourer
Labourer

Circuit Breaker Tripping and Socket Sparking

by Beddyford » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 am

Bit of a strange one this, last night we had a pop and a flash in the corner of the room where the tv is. It tripped the circuit breaker out and when I checked the 4 way extension it had a crack, I replaced this and reset the breaker but 2 hours later the same thing happened, long story short I unplugged and switched off all sockets on this circuit and left the breaker off. This morning I flicked the breaker back on but left all sockets switched off and nothing plugged in. After 10 minutes the breaker tripped again and again the same socket popped & flashed/sparked I'm thinking to replace the socket itself and check the wiring to it at the same time but how could the socket still do that with nothing plugged in and both switches off? Am I thinking the right thing in terms of fixing the issue?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Circuit Breaker Tripping and Socket Sparking

by Mr White » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 pm

There would seem to be a problem with the socket in question or the wiring to it, but you will never know unless you remove the socket and investigate.

Beddyford
Labourer
Labourer

by Beddyford » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:25 am

Removed the socket, everything looked ok with the socket itself but the wires just fell out. Replaced the socket but it lasted 10 minutes before sparking and tripping the breaker again. At a bit of a loss to know what to check next as the wires themselves looked ok too

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:17 pm

If the socket is "still sparking" after you have changed it then it is probably a wiring issue, since it is a new socket. If you remove the socket (with the electricity off) have a look with a torch and inspect the cables, if you see no damage I suggest you call an electrician to come and investigate,

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am