Circuit without continuity in basement conversion
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simondgee
Labourer
Labourer

Circuit without continuity in basement conversion

Post by simondgee » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:13 pm

We have just bought a new (old house). It includes a basement conversion done by a contractor in 2015 (tanked, plastered, and servicesinc. electrics) providing 2 rooms. Prior to purchase a period inspection highlighted a C2 fault of lack of continuity in this basement. I've confirmed that the multiple sockets circa 6 are on a radial and not a ring and go back to fueseway and are on an RCD. The loads are low (the only appliance is a washing machine). Wondering the options ...The ideal is to convert the radial to a ring with return form the furthest socket (doable but a pita as it would mean breaking into the wall behind he skirting to get the cable back. Alternate is just leave it be...diversity being what it is the load will never be high and the cable is 'over spec' at 2.5mm T+E for the number of sockets. Thoughts? Need to do versus like to do?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Circuit without continuity in basement conversion

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi simondgee
Irrespective of you plans for the circuit you need to get the continuity issue sorted.
Regards S

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Circuit without continuity in basement conversion

Post by ericmark » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:25 am

C2 fault of lack of continuity one would assume earth continuity as clearly if line or neutral it would not work, unfortunately there are some cow boys doing EICR's so often as electricians we are scratching our heads wondering what they saw.

But a plug in socket tester with loop test will cost around £40, cheaper ones don't have loop test, and you really need the loop test, the loop test checks the earth is good enough, without loop test it may show an earth is there, but it may be inadequate, so google "Socket tester with loop" select on and test.

Oh and washing machines are not light load, they together with tumble driers are likely the heaviest plug in load you can get in the home. The IET/BSi in their regulation book in the back suggest a non portable appliance with over a 2kW load should have a dedicated supply, this would include ovens, washing machines tumble driers and immersion heaters, in practice immersion heaters do normally have a dedicated supply, and some times also ovens, but rare for laundry equipment, it is not only the power used, but for how long, so a kettle may be 3 kW but runs for 6 minutes, a tumble drier 2.2 kW but runs for an hour, the immersion heater 3 kW runs for 3 hours.

I don't have a dedicated supply for my washer and tumble drier, but I am well aware a high load.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:33 am