Cladding a polycarbonate conservatory/lean-to roof
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KLines
Labourer
Labourer

Cladding a polycarbonate conservatory/lean-to roof

by KLines » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm

We have inherited a conservatory with our new house and hate the roof!! It's noisy and dirty (we have tried cleaning honest!!)

At a pub recently, we noticed that their conservatory had been internally clad with tongue and groove on the roof. From the outside we could see that the original poly roof was still in place and the cladding was added to the inside. This looks like a great solution for us. Do you think that this was made especially for them or does anyone know of a company that provides this type of roof cladding for conservatories. Also, how do you think it was attached to the poly roof???

ollie7489
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ollie7489 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:35 pm

This is probably what is known as soffit board which is 300 mm wide this can be purchased from most double glazing companies and is really quite cheap. Have a look in your area to see if there is a Eurocell depot as they have trade counters and you should expect about 60% off list price they also do dome nice joiners for them failing that you could put battens across the rafters and fix it to the battens by secret nailing the boards. the main problem might be the build up of heat between the two. Hope this helps Les

KLines
Labourer
Labourer

by KLines » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks Les. Not too sure about the plastic look of the soffit's though. Could I use wooden cladding do you think??

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

polycarb roof

by welsh brickie » Fri May 30, 2008 12:49 pm

why not go for glass roof instead they produce a tinted self cleaning
glass unit for high rise buidings and domestic use.It would look a hundred
times better.
the glass reflects 60% solar heat away from the glass keeping it cool inside the conservatory and no noise from heavy rain.And you dont have to clean it.
Costs are quite resonable.Check with your local consevatory installers
but get a few quotes first.

red barron
Labourer
Labourer

by red barron » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I too have the same idea of internally cladding the conservatory. I want to fix decorative wooden beads down each glazing bar and then clad inbetween with the modern type tongue and groove panels which can be found in DIY stores in various shades. I would fix the beads to each glazing bar using self tapping screws. The cut ends of each T & G panel and the self tapping screws would then be concealed with an additional dceorative strip over the first bead. My only concern is the 35mm gap wihich would then be created between the underside of the polycarbonate sheet and the innerv side of the cladding. Do I fill this with anything and what are the chances of mould or condensation building up in this space.

Red Barron

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Discover how easy it is to find vetted and insured tradesman local to your area with the help of DIY Doctor. Visit our Find a Tradesman area: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

crswgroup
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cladding a polycarbonate conservatory/lean-to roof

by crswgroup » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,
Maybe I can help you through this posting. benefits of this topic: Manufactured to order giving a one sheet length, minimal joins alleviating water ingres, A wide range of colours and finishes for any requirements.
Visit this link:Zinc roof cladding

Tomdyson24
Labourer
Labourer

by Tomdyson24 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 am

Hi, it's relatively straight forward, I had a very drab ceiling so I attached wooded batons to the plastic ones the screwed cladding onto these after glossing nd attaching cover beams it looks awesome.

Tomdyson24
Labourer
Labourer

by Tomdyson24 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 am

Drop me an email if you want to see pics of all the stages. Tomdyson4@gmail.com.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:35 pm