Cleaning and protecting garden walls
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Housediy
Tradesman
Tradesman

Cleaning and protecting garden walls

by Housediy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:29 pm

Hey guys,
So I have recently had a garden wall build of red bricks. It had been falling apart due to either excessive cold weather or because the builder is a moron and can't actually build but that's for another day.
I'm going to rebuild and I want to clean it of algae and white patches.... Acidity I believe. Then I want to protect it from the elements of frost and rain.
My questions are which it the best red brick wall cleaner and what is the best protective product to purchase please?
Thankyou

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cleaning and protecting garden walls

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:34 pm

Hi housediy
It is normal for salts to form on the surface of a new wall - as the wall dries out moisture moves to the surface carrying with it salts (probably lime). Over a number of years this should gradually diminish.
There is no point in using a brick cleaner to remove the salts because they will be carried back into the brick then re-emerge as the brick dries. Likewise there is little point in using a brick preserver on an external wall.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:21 am