DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Cleaning and protecting garden walls

Postby Housediy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:29 pm

Hey guys,
So I have recently had a garden wall build of red bricks. It had been falling apart due to either excessive cold weather or because the builder is a moron and can't actually build but that's for another day.
I'm going to rebuild and I want to clean it of algae and white patches.... Acidity I believe. Then I want to protect it from the elements of frost and rain.
My questions are which it the best red brick wall cleaner and what is the best protective product to purchase please?
Thankyou
Housediy
Progress to next rank:
19.2%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi housediy
It is normal for salts to form on the surface of a new wall - as the wall dries out moisture moves to the surface carrying with it salts (probably lime). Over a number of years this should gradually diminish.
There is no point in using a brick cleaner to remove the salts because they will be carried back into the brick then re-emerge as the brick dries. Likewise there is little point in using a brick preserver on an external wall.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!