Cleaning brickwork on scorched fireplace
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
labealtaine
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning brickwork on scorched fireplace

by labealtaine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Hello.
I have a fireplace made of brick that has been quite badly scorched when a previous tenant in my house tried to light a fire and, apparently, got a bit carried away.

In addition the whole thing is built out of what appears to be reclaimed external bricks, so the brickwork on the whole thing is a bit grubby and needs cleaning.

I've tried getting the black soot off with a wire brush, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick, it's just made it look a bit smudged.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning interior brickwork?

Cheers

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm

labealtaine,
The only way you might achieve a good degree of cleaning is to use a pressure washer - thoroughly soak the hearth first or the soot will soak into the hearth. You will need a wet vacuum cleaner and a second pair of hands, boots, gloves, heavy rain gear etc...
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 am