Close Coupled WC Leaking
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
susan goodwin
Labourer
Labourer

Close Coupled WC Leaking

by susan goodwin » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:38 am

Have fitted a new syphon and now there is a leak from the wing nuts holing the pan to the cistern - the nuts are tight.
Have I fitted the doughnut washer correctly? should it be like an upturned umbrella (as I have fitted it) or like a parachute with the rounded half at the top. Alterativeley is there more than one size of doughnut as maybe I have the wrong one.
thanks

vjratne1740
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Close Coupled WC Leaking

by vjratne1740 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:23 am

[quote="susan goodwin"]Have fitted a new syphon and now there is a leak from the wing nuts holing the pan to the cistern - the nuts are tight.
Have I fitted the doughnut washer correctly? should it be like an upturned umbrella (as I have fitted it) or like a parachute with the rounded half at the top. Alterativeley is there more than one size of doughnut as maybe I have the wrong one.
thanks[/quote]

I have a similar pblem. I hope this is correct which I think, I am using this method this week end. Take the Bolt (long nail like thing) to the hand, first insert the metal washer, then rubber washer, set the cistern on the comodote so that holes are properly set (ceramic to ceramic) now insert the readied bolt into the hole from inside the sistern. Then from the bottom side of the commode, insert a metal washer then the butterfly nut and turn it holding bolt from inside. Hand tight + little more would do the trick. Avoid silicone use which will make it difficult to remove. If still leaks tighten little more - becaureful not to crack the ceramic - do not overtighten. Good Luck! If it works or not let me know. If the holes are too big u will to get a little broader nut+bolt + washers to match the size.
vjratne1740

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 am

The usual reasn for the leak between close coupled cistern and bowl is that the two are not aligned either in a square vertical plane or are out of level horizontally. The citern has to sit absolutely at 90 degrees to the bowl or the washer squashes to one side and leaks. The pressure has to be 100% evenly placed around the entire doughnut for it to seal. Level it up and you will be ok.

vjratne1740
Apprentice
Apprentice

close couple cystern leaking stopped

by vjratne1740 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:37 am

[quote="thedoctor"]The usual reasn for the leak between close coupled cistern and bowl is that the two are not aligned either in a square vertical plane or are out of level horizontally. The citern has to sit absolutely at 90 degrees to the bowl or the washer squashes to one side and leaks. The pressure has to be 100% evenly placed around the entire doughnut for it to seal. Level it up and you will be ok.[/quote]

Dear Doctor - This is to thank you for your kind advice. It is just what the Dr ordered. My leaking close coupled cystern was due horizontal levelling off slightly. I adjusted it by inserting a cut rubber tubing between the cystern and the commode, where it was shaking slightly and then fitted the nuts - Bingo - it is perfect now. Many thanks to our dear doctor. Keep up your good work! I hope Susans problem is solved now.
vjratne1740

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:27 am