Closing off a vent
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steve.S.
Labourer
Labourer

Closing off a vent

by Steve.S. » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi all, my 3-bed semi has a gas fire in the living room and the chimney breast goes up through my bedroom. In the bedroom there is a vent fitted in the chimney breast. We are planning to remove the gas fire and fit a log burner. So can we remove the vent from the bedroom and brick-up the hole, as we are currently decorating the bedroom, before we start work on the living room? Many thanks, Steve.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 pm

No because the vent provides ventilation for that part of your chimney that used to be used by the fire in the bedroom. The flue from downstairs will not pass through the upstairs fire hole so the ventilation in the bedroom must be maintained.

Cheers

Steve.S.
Labourer
Labourer

by Steve.S. » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks for the reply rosebery, but can you please explain about the "Fire Hole"? As this is my first house and it's all new to me. Thank you.

Dibble
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dibble » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

[quote="Steve.S."]Thanks for the reply rosebery, but can you please explain about the "Fire Hole"? As this is my first house and it's all new to me. Thank you.[/quote]

The fire hole is the hole in the wall where the fire would be if you had one. Each fire place will have it's own separate flue all the way to the top, terminating in a chimney pot. The vent in your bedroom is to supply ventilation to the flue from your bedroom to air it if any damp gets into it. Don't block it up.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Thank you, Dibble, for answering SSs question for me.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 am