Cold and Damp in Extension Caused by Leaky Window?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

FirsHome
Labourer
Labourer

Cold and Damp in Extension Caused by Leaky Window?

by FirsHome » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Wondering if someone can help/point me in the right direction. We bought our very first home this year 1900 end terrace, exciting, but.... one of the bedrooms is in an extension, it’s a two storey extension and it’s literally always cold, it’s where the combi boiler is and there is a radiator, but it’s still freezing. As the winter has taken full effect the paint has started bubbling off, even down to plaster now feels wet.

It’s concentrated on one side, the east corner beneath and to the right of the window. There are other areas but that is where it’s worst.

The window is old and even though it’s double glazed I can hear a gnat fart through it and it’s almost breezy when you go close.

Picture too large to upload, there is mould growing by the window sill now, and in the corner.

I have obviously thought about changing the window but I’m not convinced that is all of the problem.

Can the damp from a leaky window extend horizontally? Extension was build in 70s as far as I’m aware if that helps with build materials.

Tia

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 am