Cold Empty Roof Space with Central Heating and HW Pipes Exposed
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Cold Empty Roof Space with Central Heating and HW Pipes Exposed

by Nearlyman » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:47 pm

In August 2014 DIY Noob asked about REPLACING scattered foam sleeving around the COPPER pipes in the loft of the (main) house. The response was helpful........ up to a point. I recently moved into a modern (12 year old) detached house with a semi detached single garage, which has a pitched roof.
I had a property of similar build 20 years ago and used the roof space as a very useful store: the apex was 13ft from the garage ceiling - very high indeed.This later property's garage pitch is not as high, but still has good storage capacity. Problem: to access the roof space I had a builder install a hatch: this house came with a "sealed" roof (no hatch) whereas the older house came complete with a hatch. Once in the roof space discovered that in this later (more modern?) property none of the CH, HW or CW pipes - about 8 pipes in all, running laterally across the joists - have any form of insulation. In the much older build house -1993 - the pipes were all fully lagged, albeit only with fiberglass wool. As I intend to use the garage as a workshop (woodworking mostly) I would be wanting to insulate the roof side of the ceiling, making the roof space a 'cold space'. However, I see that all the pipes are plastic material of some sort and all are "nailed" down to the joists and very close together. Would arranging the loft insulation to carry over the pipework (to insulate them) be satisfactory/effective? It must be better than the present total absence, but I only want to do this once. What might be the best course in this situation?

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:18 am