Cold Shower !
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JerryUK
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Shower !

by JerryUK » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:37 am

I have an electric shower that is fed via a pump from a cold water tank in the loft. During the summer the shower is fine as the water in the cold tank is tepid. During the winter when the water in the tank is cold I have to reduce the shower pressure to little more than a trickle to get the water to a usable temperature. The cold tank is insulated, except underneath and is situated above an airing cupboard. I have tried switching from a Triton 8.5kw shower to a Gainsborough 9.5kw unit without any great improvement. Is there any way to slightly warm the water in the plastic cold water tank in the loft?

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 pm

jerry i may be missing something here but electric showers are fed via the mains water feed not a pump
got any more info on the shower
bob

JerryUK
Labourer
Labourer

by JerryUK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks for the repy. I changed to the shower from the mains and fed it from the tank, via the pump to ensure a constant pressure/temperature on the shower. Unfortunately the constant temperature during the winter is tepid! The shower unit that I am using is just a standard 9.5kw Gainsborough unit.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:45 am

To be honest, I don't know what's going on here. A 9.5kw shower is designed to heat incoming mains water and give a satisfactory shower even in the winter without having to resort to pre-heating the supply.

The header tank cannot be heated or modified in any way. Attempting to opens up a whole raft of problems from total tank failure to providing a breeding ground for Legionnaires disease.

If you want a better performance shower, upgrade to a 10.8kw or consider fitting a mixer shower.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Put it back the way it was. Mains pressure with shower providing the heat seing you tell it to.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:30 am