All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Whistle
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Water Mains and Stopcock Replacement

by Whistle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:56 am

coldwater_mains.JPG

The cold water mains inlet in my property is a bit of a jungle, It leaks a little and the stopcock is jammed not quite open, not quite closed.

There is a mix of 22 and 15 mm, a superfluous meter (as there is now a meter at the property boundary) a reducing pressure valve, and a drain valve the wrong side of the meter.

I'd like to simplify the installation and replace the stopcock and i have a few questions:

* Can I remove the meter without involving the water supplier or do I need to get them to do it?
    * It looks like the pressure reducing valve is older than the boiler and hot water systems can I remove it.
    * Can I simplify the path of the pipework or does it actually need to be laid out with the N shape as now.
    * Assuming that I can take out the 22 mm meter, can I stick with 15 mm pipe throughout? (the mains side of the stopcock is 15)

ps I'd get a professional in, but with the current situation i'm not sure its wise.

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cold Water Mains and Stopcock Replacement

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi Whistle,
If your water bill details readings on the meter on your boundary then you should not have any problems with removal. Do keep it in case they decide the want it back.
You could remove the pressure regulator but you must assume it was fitted for a reason - I would leave it fitted.
Regards, S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:28 am