All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chiswick
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Water Pipe Hidden In Wall Leaving Wet Outline

by chiswick » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:31 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could offer any advice. We've recently had our kitchen re-painted (about a month ago) and since doing so we've started to notice the outline of the cold water pipe which goes into our wall to feed the upstairs flat with water.

As you'll see from the pictures it's quite a clear outline of the pipe which is wet to the touch.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how I can resolve this. I'm assuming I shouldn't just leave it as it'll just cause damp in the wall? My assumption is that it is condensation on the cold pipe. It only occurs now and again (mainly on an evening) but I find it strange that we didn't notice it before (it might have been as we just had white walls before and now they are a grey?)

I don't know whether the pipe is insulated or not (judging by the wet wall I'm going to guess not) so was thinking it might just be a case of breaking through the plaster around the pipe, insulating it and then re-plastering.

Any advice much appreciated.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cold Water Pipe Hidden In Wall Leaving Wet Outline

by proptech » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi chiswick

Yes, that's condensation from a cold pipe. Dealing with it isn't going to be easy. If you expose the pipe, I doubt that you would be able to get enough lagging on it without making a very deep chase. Is there any way the supply could be re positioned, and boxed in ?

chiswick
Labourer
Labourer

by chiswick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:03 am

Thanks Prop. That was my concern. I could reposition it I suppose and box it in... but it's the supply for the upstairs flat. Therefore I don't really want to go to any expense to move their supply. I mean, I could just turn it off at the stop-cock. That'd fix my problem, but of course would leave them without water.

chiswick
Labourer
Labourer

by chiswick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks Prop. It supplies water to the upstairs flat so there's not much I can do really :(

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 pm