Cold water pressure
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
grandabilly
Labourer
Labourer

Cold water pressure

Post by grandabilly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Urgent help required please! After a simple job, very little flow through the cold tap!

I have a swan-neck mixer tap at my kitchen sink and have had to change the washer on the hot side - (the tap had been turned off very tightly and the washer, which I guess had been hardened by the constant hot water, had disintegrated). I decided that I would change the washer on the cold side (mains) at the same time, but there was no evident isolation valve for either hot or cold. I managed to turn off the cold supply at the point of entry but the hot proved impossible to turn off. I have a pressurised hot water cylinder and I reduced the pressure and then removed the hot tap insert, blicking with a cork, while replacing the washer. Much simpler replacement on the cold side, because I could turn off the water supply.

Taps now shut off nicely, but I only have a dribble of water coming from the cold side whereas before it was a strong flow.

What have I done?........and how do I fix it?

Many thanks

chrisroberts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by chrisroberts » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Have you fully turned the mains back on? is the cold water pressure ok else where in the house?

Maybe check the washer you have replaced, it may not been sitting right on the end of the valve.

grandabilly
Labourer
Labourer

Cold water pressure

Post by grandabilly » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Thank you Chris!

It turned out that I had fitted a washer of larger diameter than I should have.

You put me on the right path.

Thanks again!

William

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am